Gordon Taylor, Associate Director
Teacher of the Year Regional Coordinator (Interim)
400 E. Spring Valley Rd, Richardson, TX 75081-5101
Phone: 972.348.1000 Fax: 972.348.1007
2015 Teacher of the Year Application (click here for MS Word)
2015 Teacher of the Year Application (click here for Adobe PDF)
The Teacher of the Year Application and Nomination Guidelines for the year 2015 are also available at http://www.tasanet.org/domain/59. The application may be used for multiple entries. All information should be supplied on the entry form, or if word-processed, the form should list the same section topic headings, with pages numbered sequentially. The application consists of an application cover sheet with the name and information about the nominee, the school and the district, as well as a section containing answers to several essay questions.
There are two deadlines that nominees must observe to qualify:
1) Friday, May 30, 2014 (signed copy of cover sheet)
First, applicants must:
- Fill out the Cover Sheet (the first page of the application)
- Sign it
- Obtain the signature of both their principal and their superintendent
A signed copy of this cover sheet must be received by the regional coordinator at Region 10 Education Service Center no later than 5 p.m., Friday, May 30, 2014. Faxed, emailed or otherwise digitally delivered cover sheets will be accepted.
The regional coordinator will acknowledge each applicant and send to the state coordinator at TEA a list of all nominees in their region. The cover sheet is a preliminary entry indicator and may be sent in as soon as a candidate from a district is selected.
2) Friday, June 13, 2014 (completed entry, including photograph)
The Completed Entry consists of:
- Completed application with answers to the essay questions and
- Cover sheet with original signatures of applicant, principal and superintendent and
- Acceptable photograph of the candidate (to be used in publications and publicity)
The Completed Entry is due at Region 10 Education Service Center no later than 5 p.m., Friday, June 13, 2014. Faxed, emailed or otherwise digitally delivered entries will be accepted. Digital submission are preferred, if possible.
This document is considered the official entry and any failure to meet this deadline will result in disqualification. The photo may be presented digitally also or sent as a hard copy to be scanned.
- Nominees should answer the entire application form cover sheet and essay questions and not exceed the page limitations.
- Nominees are urged to be brief and succinct in their written responses, focusing on their most significant experiences and characteristics.
- Please double check for spelling errors.
- Candidates who add a personal touch to their applications will also produce a stronger entry, as well as provide contest judges — who have a limited amount of time to evaluate each entry — with an application that is more readable and targets a nominee’s strong points.
2015 Teacher of the Year Guidelines (click here)
The state program recognizes a Teacher of the Year in both elementary and secondary categories at the regional and state levels. Participating districts or charter school holders may nominate two teachers — one in elementary and one in secondary education. However, districts or charters also may follow a process that selects one overall nominee for recognition.
In most cases, the elementary category consists of early childhood/pre-K through grade 5 and the secondary, grades 6-12. But grade divisions and classroom arrangements may vary from district to district. In general, elementary teachers will instruct the same class throughout the day in what is regarded as a traditional grade-school setting; secondary teachers will conduct classes in subject areas in a class-period or block-time schedule to different groups of students during the school day.
Please, if there are questions regarding the eligibility of teacher candidates or the elementary or secondary categories, call the regional coordinator, Gordon Taylor (interim), 972.348.1000, CCO@region10.org, or the Texas Association of School Administrators, Jennifer Garrido, 512.477.6361, http://www.tasanet.org/domain/59.
Other documents and helpful suggestions (click on the title):
Applications: 2014 Region 10 Elementary and Secondary Teachers of the Year
- 2014 Regional Elementary Teacher of the Year, Julie Woodard, Rockwall ISD
- 2014 Regional Secondary Teacher of the Year, Kimberly Pope (Kindred), Coppell ISD
2014 Teacher of the Year Roster and Slide Show