Deaf / Hard of Hearing Services
State Leadership: Birth - 5
This website is intended to provide professionals, families and the greater community with information and resources related to educational services and topics of interest for children with hearing loss, ages birth – 5.
Early Intervention (0 - 3)
Through the ESC State Leadership, ESC-11 provides leadership, staff development, consultation and technical assistance via the statewide ESC Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ESC DHH) network as they assist regional day school programs for the deaf and local school districts and charter schools with the development and implementation of comprehensive early intervention services to families of infants and toddlers with hearing loss.
For more information, please visit the following website:
Texas Early Hearing Detection and Intervention (Texas EHDI): Statewide System of Care
This website offers detailed information and resources to support the role of Texas EHDI providers, families, and the greater community as we work together to improve outcomes for families of our youngest children suspected or diagnosed with hearing loss in Texas.
Early Childhood Education (3 – 5)
ESC-10 provides leadership, staff development, consultation and technical assistance to assist regional day school programs for the deaf and local education agencies with the development and implementation of comprehensive instructional programs for students with hearing loss.
Statewide Technical Assistance Resources
- 2009 Auditory Impairment (AI) Eligibility Guidance: Birth – 3-AI Eligibility Guidance Document
- State DHH Plan (33KB)-a tool to help identify needs, set priorities, and guide services development and provision to students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Early Transition Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)- The purposes of the AI/VI MOU for services to infants and toddlers, birth through two are to:define roles and responsibilities between the DARS Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) and TEA within the respective federal and state mandates; enhance interagency collaboration and relationships; and coordinate an effective system of activities, policies, and procedures, which guide and support the development and implementation of services.
- Statewide Leadership for students who are deaf or hard of hearing- ESC XI provides leadership, staff development, technical assistance and support to help Texas school districts meet the educational needs of students who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Statewide Staff Development Opportunities
- Listening and Spoken Language (eLearning Series 2014-2015) Learn about teaching strategies that ehlp children with hearing loss develop listening, spoken language, and early emergent literacy skills. Learn about strategies to use when working with parents and infants. Modules will focus on working with young children or those who are newly implanted.
- Communication Access for Students who are Deaf and Low Functioning (eLearning Module Series and other resources) The series of eLearning modules and other resources discuss various topics to help staff understand and address the unique communication needs of these students.
- Sign Language DVD Lending Library Do you struggle to provide training for your interpreters? Need activities for your interpeters to do on staff development days that will actually earn them CEUs? ESC Region 11 is establishing a Sign Language DVD Lending Library. Check this out!
- Statewide Professional Development Archives
Deaf and Hard of Hearing ESC Leadership Project
Statewide Leadership Contact
ESC, Region 11
Susie Tiggs, M. Ed.
Educational Specialist, State Leadership Office
For regional/local information on educational services for deaf and hard of hearing children 0 - 21 please visit: Region 10 Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program
Links and Resources