The nomination packet should be scanned and submitted as a single PDF in the order listed below. The packet and photo must be emailed to Region 10 Executive Director Dr. Gordon Taylor (**firstname.lastname@example.org**) by 5 p.m. on April 12, 2019.
Since 1984, the Superintendent of the Year (SOTY) award program has honored outstanding administrators for achievement and excellence in public school administration. These school leaders exhibit exemplary and visionary leadership toward improving student performance. They are chosen for their strong leadership skills, dedication to improving the quality of education in their districts, and commitment to public support and involvement in education.
ELIGIBILITY AND NOMINATIONS
A local school board that is currently an “Active Member” of the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) may nominate its superintendent. Nominees must meet the following requirements:
- Have served as a superintendent of the district since September 1, 2016 (interim positions do not count)
- Be a member of the Texas Association of School Administrators (TASA)
- Be certified and meet the State Board for Educator Certification continuing professional education requirement
- Be an active superintendent at the time of the 2019 TASA/TASB Convention
Superintendents who receive the top state award cannot be nominated again during the following five-year period. This rule does not apply to superintendents who were named regional winners or state finalists.
Recommendation Letter. In a letter of recommendation addressed to the SOTY Selection Committee, the school board president should cite examples of the superintendent’s leadership, while expanding on the following topics:
- Leadership, Management, and School Climate
- School Board-Superintendent Relations
- School Improvement and Instructional Leadership
- Fiscal Management
- School-Community Relations
At the end of the letter, succinctly explain “Why our superintendent should be selected as Superintendent of the Year.”
Be sure to include the following:
- Official Entry Form
- Student Performance Work Sheet
- The letter, signed by the board president (no longer than five pages, 12-point Times New Roman, 1.5-line spacing, and 1-inch margins)
- A basic resume listing current positions and professional organizations (no more than three pages)
- A resolution indicating the board’s decision to nominate the superintendent (remember to place the resolution on the board meeting agenda early in the process)
- A photo of the superintendent also should be attached (8.5 x 11", 300 dpi, .jpg file format).
No other documentation will be accepted.
Send nominations to the executive director of the district’s education service center (ESC). The packet documents should be scanned and submitted as a single PDF in the order listed above. The packet and photo must be e-mailed to the ESC by close of business April 12.
- The ESC will coordinate the regional screening. School board members serving on the regional screening committee are from districts that do not have superintendents nominated for the award and do not have board members on the TASB State Selection Committee. Each regional screening committee will submit one nomination to the TASB State Selection Committee.
- The State Selection Committee is typically composed of members of the TASB Board of Directors appointed by the TASB president to serve on the TASB Member Services Committee. A TASB director may not serve if the superintendent from his or her district is being considered.
The district of the Superintendent of the Year winner receives a $5,000 award, which will be presented at the 2019 TASA/TASB Convention in Dallas. The award program is underwritten by Balfour and sponsored by TASB. The winner also receives a ring from Balfour. The districts of the four state finalists each receive $1,000. Complete details and forms are available at tasb.org/soty.
|April 12||Nomination submissions due to Region 10|
|June 28||R10 nomination submitted to TASB|
|August 23–24||All regional winners interviewed and five finalists chosen by the TASB State Selection Committee|
|September||Finalists interviewed and Superintendent of the Year chosen by TASB State Selection Committee|
|September 21||Presentation of the award at 2019 TASA/TASB Convention|