The Special Populations department at Region 10 has gathered together a team of professionals to support LEA staff who are responsible for conducting Full and Individual Evaluations (FIEs) for students who may have a need for special education instructional and related services. This team is responsible for providing professional development and technical assistance to LEA staff in need.
- The team regularly provides professional development offerings both in LEAs and at Region 10.
- Professional development offerings are available free of charge to Region 10 member LEAs/SSAs.
- For more information about offerings available at the service center, please check out our Calendar of Events.
- The team is also available to provide technical assistance at no cost to member LEAs/SSAs to facilitate the evaluation of students with disabilities.
- Technical assistance for evaluation may include responding to correspondence and telephone calls requesting information and visiting with evaluation specialists as needed. While Region 10 may provide technical assistance with the evaluation process, it will not conduct evaluations.
In addition to professional development and technical assistance, the evaluation team offers a number of other services and solutions to our Region 10 LEAs/SSAs.
Region 10 Evaluation Kit Lending Library
The Region 10 Evaluation Kit Lending Library consists of a variety of assessment materials that are available to member LEAs to offer them an opportunity to access a niche evaluation tool for unique cases or try out an unfamiliar tool before committing to purchasing one for your LEA.
The Lending Library is made up of materials that may be needed on an infrequent basis or focus on evaluating specific areas of ability (ex. Large print/braille materials, executive functioning, or working memory assessment materials). The library is frequently being updated.M
TEA Statewide Technical Assistance Network:
Child Find, Evaluation, and ARD Support
As part of the dissemination of discretionary funds that TEA receives under IDEA-B for state-level activities, TEA provides grants for statewide leadership networks. Networks address major, thematic topics that are identified as critical technical assistance and support needs for the state.
The Child Find, Evaluation and ARD Supports Network assists LEAs by providing resources and training that are aligned with implementing effective Child Find practices, conducting comprehensive evaluations, and practicing collaborative admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) committee processes that lead to a free appropriate public education (FAPE) for students with disabilities.
Lead Evaluator Advisory Panel (LEAP) Meetings
Leadership meetings for evaluation specialists will include both diagnosticians and psychologists. These meetings will focus on issues related to comprehensive and integrated evaluations of students. Each district, SSA, and Charter School will nominate one diagnostician and one psychologist to attend these meetings. Each meeting will be designed to share emerging information in the field of evaluation and encourage communication between LEAs. This leadership group will also consider and provide direction for future training opportunities in Region 10.