Severe and Profound Cognitive Disability, Medically Fragile, Deafblind
- Serve as the first point of contact for school personnel and families of students who are severely and profoundly cognitively disabled, medically fragile, and/or deafblind. Serve as an information and referral source for students in this population.
- Provide/coordinate regional workshops for professionals and parents of students in this category including those identified through the deafblind census.
- Specifically address low-incidence disabilities issues through ESC needs assessments and regional plans and address deafblindness in the Regional plan for Students with Visual Impairments.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the regional activities regarding the three low-incidence disabilities.
- Provide technical assistance from a deafblind specialist.
- Collaborate with the Texas Deafblind Project to provide on-site consultation to students with deafblindness;
- Train and assist districts and Early Childhood Intervention programs to appropriately identify students with deafblindness and report them on the deafblind census;
- Collect, verify, and review district deafblind census information and forward it to the Texas Deafblind Project; and
- Personally contact every family and at least one professional connected to each child on the census to provide information about the Texas Deafblind Project.
Region 10 has a limited inventory of assistive technology for checkout to the districts within the region.
Region 10 Education Service Center provides administrators, teachers, support staff and students with professional development and services designed for improving both workplace excellence and student achievement. Teaching Literacy to Students with Significant Disabilities is a 10 module on-line course. Create an account and see the entire listing of available special education courses.
Region 10 AT/LID Technical Assistance Request
- Ongoing student intervention is NOT an element of Technical Assistance.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for scheduling onsite technical assistance. Scheduling will be on a first come, first serve basis and is not guaranteed.
- Region 10 does NOT complete AT Evaluations, but will assist your staff in conducting an evaluation.